Friday 30 January 2015

BOOT CAMP VS. GYM: PROS & CONS

My first month of Fitness Boot Camp is almost over. As a new member, I got a special price of $100 to try it out. After this month, the price will be $200. Aside from the charge, I’ve also been taking a few Bar Method classes / Zumba classes to mix it up. If I keep doing this, my monthly fitness costs will exceed $300! I am committed to getting in shape (must repeat: lifestyle change, lifestyle change), but I also have financial goals to achieve.

So, I’ve been considering doing the Fitness Boot Camp for another month, then switching to a gym membership – even the most expensive gyms such Equinox cost around $150 a month and offers unlimited classes. Plus, during the December / January holiday seasons, there are frequently deals with waived initiation fees.

I have scoped out the class schedule of an Equinox gym that’s relatively close to work, and I found about 2 classes per week day that I’d like to join: Express Train, The Ultimate Body Shaper, Rock n’ Body Sculpt, Boxing Boot Camp, Barre Burn, etc. If I do classes 5x a week, that would be 20 classes a month or $7.50 per class. There’s no where else I can get classes for that cheap. On the other hand, even the cheapest membership wouldn’t make financial sense if I don’t go (not to mention the health costs of sliding back into a sedentary lifestyle). And I don’t have the best track record with gym attendance. Fitness Boot Camp Pros & Cons:

Pros:
Great instructors
Planned workouts: I love the fact that I never have to think about what workouts I’m going to do – if I show up 4-5 times each week, I know I am getting all of the major areas hit: strength, cardio, flexibility, balance, etc.
Accountability: Wake-up calls (and texts, and emails when I miss a session)
Month to month contract
Measurement / weighing of progress every 1.5 months


Cons:
Cost – $200/month
Only in the mornings
No choice of classes / times
Gym membership at Equinox Pros & Cons:


Pros:
Variety of classes – all included in the gym membership price!
Option to work out morning or after work: which, for the mornings that I don’t want to get up at 5am, is huge plus.
Cheaper than Boot Camp – $140/month: $60 is nothing to sneeze at. [In fact, if I choose to go to a cheaper gym, the membership can be as low as $30 a month].
Luxurious shower / locker facilities


Cons:
No accountability: no one will give a mouse’s behind if I don’t go workout
Limited validated parking – if I want to stay for 2 classes back-to-back I would have to pay for parking
1-year contract
About 15-30 minutes from work (but it’s on the way home)


If I were rolling in dough I would do both (muahaha). But, alas, rolling I am not. So I have to choose. What do you think? Should I stick with what’s been working [Fitness Boot Camp]? Or should I give the gym membership a go [Equinox]?

No comments:

Post a Comment